Monday, November 28, 2005

Downtown


Today I was downtown at Birks picking up my old wedding ring. It had to be expanded by two sizes to get it back on my finger. They did an excellent job and it was pretty cheap. Nice place and nice people. So far they have the best Christmas tree I've seen this year.

So I am heading back to the car, which was parked on the street beside a non-expensive traffice meter. This young fellow shouts out "Sir do you have 25 cents or a dollar spare change? I need to catch a ferry and am $7 dollars short." What the heck, it is getting to be like Christmas and the guys looks like he could use some change. My hand comes out of my pocket with a few loonies and quarters. So I pick one of the loonies out and give it to him. He doesn't say thanks. He says "How about another one of those?" I am a little shocked --- How about another one of those? --- I told him "Not today" and got into the car. A little unerving to say the least.

So I stick the key in the car and am getting the faceplate for the CD player out of the glove box and putting the cell phone in the holder. Suddenly there's a car horn honking away. I look in the side mirror and somebody is blasting their horn wanting to get into the parking space. Now I am really upset. I pull out muttering to myself about the impatience and lack of civility of the downtown poplulace. It sure felt better when I was on the east side of the Georgia Viaduct.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to downtown Vancouver. At least you missed the snow the following day.
As the city grows it seems to become more akin to Toronto or one of the large Amercian cities. Guess that is the price we pay for progress, and having the mildest climate of any major Canadian city.
Phil